Sunday, October 7, 2012

Thrift-a-long

I can't believe that a whole week has whizzed by and it is time to share our thrifting treasures again! For the first week of every month one of our local oppies has a one dollar sale - all shoes and clothes are just $1. They always add the disclaimer 'unless otherwise marked'. It is the best time to hunt up some clothes or at the very least, purchase clothes for their buttons, lace or fabric. Now as it happens I have just tidied up my fabric cupboard after it seemed to have exploded all over the laundry so I was being particularly strict on myself about purchasing more fabric. I came across a navy blue cardie that was made of something so completely synthetic that a dirty look would have made it combust. It was truly awful. Yet strangely, it was possessed of two extremely gorgeous buttons.


They are made of glass and deliciously shiny. I snipped them off forthwith and pitched the cardie - there seemed no other choice I'm afraid as I just couldn't think of another use for it - weed-mat perhaps?
For ages now I have been collecting bits and pieces with the idea that I might use them to create some shrines. The only thing holding me up is deciding what or who to dedicate the shrines to. Chocolate and tequila seem to be the things that pop into my brain most often when I think about it but one must ask oneself are such things shrine-worthy? Or would I just be admitting I am a lush with a sweet-tooth? Still, I thought these things would come in handy for the project ...



Boom boom tish! Get it? Come in handy? sorry. I also found some dear little things in the same china area ...



Ha ha ha - dear little things - oh I just can't help myself today can I? sorry. again.
I was lucky enough to find one of those teak veneer trays that were really popular in the 70's. It is in perfect nick and I plan to cut it up and use it in some jewellery. It will be interesting to see how that works out - I hope it will be relatively easy to saw ...


I trundled down to the library after receiving a terse text message that reminded me I had overdue items. And yes, I do have the ability to discern the tone of a text so be sweet if you ever text me 'cos I will know! They were having a book sale and for one whole dollar I picked up this tome - sure to become a classic!


Ok so this is not great literature but it is choc-a-cloc full of great images of Vegas in its glory days!  There are also pics of old handbills for performers like Count Basie - a truly great musician.


You can check him out here ...

 

It is also littered with images of celebrities from Red Skelton, Liberace to my favourite dame - Mae West.


And here she is surrounded by blokes with more muscles than the entire cast of 300 (and they are not CGI!), who appear to be wearing nappies. And extremely naff sandals. So to finish off let me leave you with some words of wisdom from the lady herself.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” 

“Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.” 

“Good sex is like good bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.” 

“I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure.” 

“I'm no model lady. A model's just an imitation of the real thing.” 

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” 

Ah what a gal! Hope you can join in with thrift-a-long this week - just click on the link below!


3 comments:

Melissa said...

You have the most amazing op shops, and yes I found one of those "things" on my beach walk!

Anonymous said...

I also had a Dear find this week, I can't ever leave them behind!x

Unknown said...

Hello there! I was just having a browse around your blog here, tis lovely. All of amazing photos are making me want to go out and buy some things like that for my new cottage! My blog is called Lobley Cottage after my online shop, here is the link: http://lobleycottage.blogspot.co.uk/
I hope you have a good time looking around! :D
Chloe xx